Monday, August 11, 2008

Some quick hits.

I also cracked games on the Amiga. It being 68000 based, it was a whole new game for me. (Pardon the pun there).

I cracked a bunch of things, but the first was "Empire: War game of the century", and that was only fitting, as it was also the first PC game that I ever cracked. (Using Microsoft's CodeView, and Norton Utilities of all things). But the one game that I really remember was a game called Foundation's Waste. I couldn't tell you what kind of game it was, what the object of the game was or anything, but here is the stuff that I CAN tell you. It had a nasty protection that none of the copiers would copy. I tried everything in my arsenal, and couldn't get a working copy. Best of all, when your copy didn't work, it played Vincent Price's laugh from Michael Jackson's Thriller. I laughed really hard the first time it did it. This was also one of those games that was all based off of sector locations on the disk. There was no real directory, and you just booted the disk to get the game to run. So, I had a tool that would read a sector, and disassemble it. So, I started with the boot sector, went to the next sector that it chained to, and a couple of sectors later, I found the protection check, and the call to the digitzed laughter. I couldn't resist. My crack of the game came up, and played the laugh, and THEN loaded the game and let you play it. I thought it was the ultimate F*CK YOU to the authors who thought they were being cute.

On the PC, another beauty of copy protection was a "port" of Nintendo's Popeye from the arcades. The protection was in a .com file that the included batch file ran. It checked the disk, and if the protection passed, it ran the NORMAL .exe there. Crack? Delete the .com file, and rename the .exe. DONE! A crack without modifying any code.

There was also this game called Mean Streets by Access Software. When you ran it, it checked the key disk in text mode, and if it passed, it THEN switched to graphics mode. It was VERY easy to crack, as you could use debug, codeview, turbo debugger, almost anything, as they didn't change the video mode, which was what stopped you from using most of those tools.

No comments: